Welcome to our site for money-saving tips!
We are always happy to do maintenance on your appliances for you, but if you are one of those do-it-yoursefers who like to save money, then this site is for you!!
Your dishwasher is not washing very well.
- Make sure nothing is blocking the spray arms from freely moving around.
- Check around the drain for any debris. You never know what you might find!
- Check and clean out the holes in the spraying arms. You can use a tweezers, needle-nose pliers or toothpick.
- Put a dishwasher-safe cup filled with white vinegar on the top rack. Using the hottest setting available, run the dishwasher through a cycle with nothing inside except for the cup of vinegar. The vinegar washes away the loose, greasy grime, sanitizes, and also deodorizes.
- It’s a good idea to do this once a month to keep your dishwasher washing at its best!
Your dryer is not drying very well.
- Often the problem is a lint build up somewhere.
- Check the lint trap and make sure it’s clean of lint. Lint traps are located either on top of the machine or inside the door and should be cleaned after every load. You can buy a brush for this purpose at an appliance parts store or on line.
- Check to see if the flex tube is kinked. Flex tubing is the 4″ round metal or white flexible tubing that is attached to the back of your clothes dryer on the one end and to an exhaust opening in the wall on the other. If the dryer is pushed too close to the laundry room wall, the flex tubing can kink which prevents the free flow of air. If it is kinked, it may need to be cleaned out of lint as well. Metal tubing is less likely to kink than the white vinyl type. We do not recommend the white vinyl tubing as it is considered a fire hazard.
- Check the flex tube for lint build up. First unplug the dryer, then remove the flex tubing from the back of the dryer. Vacuume up any lint thoroughly from inside of the tubing and from inside the base of the dryer itself before reattaching (or replacing) the flex tubing.
- Check the exhaust vent for any lint build up. This vent opens to the outside through the side of the house, the roof, or under the house. If your dryer vents to an outside opening that is covered with a bird guard, it must be cleaned frequently to prevent the build up of lint. Check for any branches or shrubs nearby that could be blocking the flow of air.
- Clean out the exhaust vent. You can buy a dryer vent cleaning kit usually for $30 or less or we would be happy to provide this service for you.
Your refrigerator is not cooling properly.
- Check the temperature control dials to ensure that they are set at the proper setting.
- The refrigerator coils may need a cleaning. Lint and debri build up can cause your refrigerator to work harder and may cause it not to cool as well as it should. The coils are located behind the lower kick-panel or on the back of the refrigerator. To clean them, turn the power off and use a condenser coil cleaning brush and vacuum cleaner . If your coils are under the refrigerator, pull your refrigerator out so that you can clean from both the back and front. Give the fan a dusting as well.
- Clean your gaskets (door seals). Dirty gaskets can prevent your refrigerator from sealing properly.
Your washing machine is banging during the spin cycle.
- Your washing machine is probably out of balance.
- There should be four “feet” – one on each bottom corner that can be adjusted to balance your washer.
- If your floor is uneven and you are not successful balancing your washer by adjusting the feet, try putting a piece of carpet under your washing machine so that all four “feet” are on the carpet.
Keep checking back for more money saving tips!